Your branding partner since 1906

We have an illustrious history

The San Diego Paper Box Company (SDPBC) traces a colorful historic timeline. The company originated over 110 years ago in Boston, Massachusetts as the Magic Clasp Garter Company. Seeking new opportunities for growth, the founder, Mr. W.A. Stevens, expanded his successful factory to a second location in San Diego in 1905.

Steven’s goal was to expand the market for his patented garter clasps, however since San Diego did not have a box company, he purchased box making equipment to make boxes for his garters. In the process he discovered a market serving other San Diego businesses that required boxes. Over time, the garter business diminished but the box business flourished. Eventually, the Magic Clasp Garter Company became the San Diego Paper Box Company.

1950s office
Historic storefront with truck

The 1930s and the Chapman Brothers Paper Box Company

During the 1930s, a young Sydney Chapman worked in sales for the Buell Town Company. The company dealt in paper products and was located at the current site of the Old Spaghetti Factory on Fifth Avenue. While serving his customers, Chapman recognized a need among them for paper boxes. He continued his day job at the Buell Town Company but he and his wife began making boxes in their garage in the evenings.

In 1939 Sid’s brother Art joined the box business. It wasn’t long before they outgrew the garage and they worked out a deal with Service Printers on Logan Avenue to use their presses to print boxes at night. With focus and hard work, the Chapman brothers built a successful business which they named Chapman Brothers Paper Box Company.

Shortly after World War II the Chapman brothers purchased SDPBC and merged their business with it. With their expertise, the company grew and became very versatile, offering a wide variety of chipboard products to manufacturers and retailers.

After the war the youngest Chapman brother, Ralph, came home a decorated hero from his service in Europe and joined his brothers as a part owner of the company. With an additional Chapman brother on board, the business continued to grow, enjoying continuous operation until 2020, when it was renamed and re-branded as Pemcor Packaging.

Throughout the decades SDPBC has served many local companies that are prominent in San Diego’s history. Some of these include Marston’s Department Store, Walker Scott Department Store, Lion’s Clothing Store, Jessup’s Jewelers, Pernicano’s Restaurants, Rohr Aircraft, Ryan Aeronautical and Convair.

The company has also served many well-known national companies such as May Company, Saks Fifth Avenue, Schlage Lock, Maxell, Buck Knives, Lionel Train, Mattel, Fisher-Price, Motorola, 3M, Jack-in-the-Box and many others.

Pemcor Packaging Today

Today, the company is located in a 55,000 square-foot facility at the site of the old La Mesa Airport in Spring Valley. Many decades of family ownership ended in 2018, when the Chapman family sold the business to new ownership that is committed to maintaining its tradition of service, quality and value. Using state-of-the-art equipment, we design, print, die cut, fold, glue and deliver products on time at competitive prices. We pride ourselves in being responsive, innovative and building long-term relationships with our valued customers.